Skip to Main Content

Under 18s Support

Under 18s Support at ARU College

From living arrangements all the way through to difficulties academically or personally, we are constantly supporting our under 18 students throughout their trimesters of study.

Students that are under 18 will periodically receive phone calls to monitor their wellbeing, attendance and engagement with their studies. They will also receive important email communications and requests from the College as well as a newsletter on latest news regarding events and initiatives taking place within the University.

UK Based Guardian

If you are under 18 before the beginning of your course, you will need to nominate a person who is going to act as your UK Based Guardian until you turn 18. Your guardian should meet the following criteria:

  • They should be a minimum of 25 years old
  • They should be a UK resident
  • They cannot be an ARU College Student

Under 18 Webinar

Under 18 Accommodation


If you will be turning 18 at any point in the academic year, you can apply for accommodation at the YMCA and Sedley Court. If you are turning 18 within three months of the tenancy starting in September, you can apply for accommodation at CB1 and the Railyard


If you are studying in Chelmsford, the only option available is private accommodation.

To find out more about our accommodation options and how to apply, head over to our accommodation page.


I am under the age of 18, will I still be accepted?

We do not discriminate on age and therefore we do accept applications and students who are under the age of 18.

If you are under the age of 18 we require you to appoint a UK based guardian, which will be done as part of the acceptance process. If your parents, or formal guardians, do not reside in the UK  you will need to make arrangements with a family friend or appoint an official UK based guardian.

You will also need to consider accommodation options as the ARU accommodation that we offer are not able to accept students under the age of 18. However we do work with local, private providers that are able to accommodate students under the age of 18. Please see our accommodation pages for details.

If you have any questions relating to guardianship as part of the application process please get in touch. 

Why do I need a UK-Based Guardian?

Where the parents or guardians of a student under 18 are not resident in the UK the College and University requires that a UK-based guardian for the student is appointed and the guardian’s details are provided in writing to the College and University as a condition of admission. This is order for the College and University to assist the safeguarding and interests of students under the age of 18.

What are the requirements of a UK-Based Guardian?

Please be aware that your UK-based guardian should:

  • Be over 25 years old
  • Not be a current student at the College
  • Be resident in the UK

UK-Based Guardians should be aware of the importance of their role and should therefore be mature, and able to respond to any issues that may arise during the student’s studies.

Back to Top