People of certain nationalities, who come to the UK for more than six months, need to register with the police. Please check the list of countries whose nationals need to register on this UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) webpage. If you are required to register, the condition will be printed on your entry clearance vignette (sticker in your passport), or on the letter provided to you by the UKVI when your visa was granted.
If police registration is required for you, you’ll need to contact your local police station to request an appointment to register. When you request your appointment, be sure to give your full name, nationality, and state that you are studying a course at ARU.
Booking an appointment
If you are in quarantine due to COVID-19 requirements, do not arrange an appointment with the police until you have copleted your quarantine period.
For new students, email email@example.com to request an appointment.
You will need to supply:
- a copy of your UK entry vignette in your passport
- your address in Cambridge
- the name and address of place of study in Cambridge
- your contact number
Please confirm in the email that you have not registered before. The police will respond to your request as soon as the office reopens, and registrations resume.
Book an appointment to register on the Essex Police website.
You will need to create an account, verify you email address and then log back in to complete the online form and make an appointment. The website will state what documents you need to take to your appointment.
New registrations will cost you £34. Future updates to your details can also be made online.
You can update your details using the online account you created on registration.
Important: Please contact an International Student Adviser immediately for advice if any of the below apply to you:
- You have the police registration condition on your visa sticker but your nationality is now listed on this UKVI webpage.
- Your nationality is listed on the UKVI webpage, and you have come to the UK for six months or more, but you do not have the police registration condition.
Attending your appointment
When you go for your appointment, take the following with you:
- Letter you received from the UKVI when your visa was granted
- Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
- £34 in cash. Take exact money – the police do not give change!
- Two recent passport-sized photos
- A student status letter from ARU. You can download tis from the ‘Letters’ section of your e:Vision account
- Cambridge students only: A completed registration form (the police will email you a form to print and complete)
Following your appointment, you will receive a blue Police Registration Certificate. Look after this certificate carefully, as you will need it later to update changes in your circumstances, or if you need to apply for a new visa.
Updating your Police Registration Certificate
Once you have registered, you will need to update the police within seven days if you:
- change address
- extend your visa
- change college or university
- renew your passport
- get married
- if any of the other details on your Police Registration Certificate change
If you fail to comply with a condition to register with the police or to notify them of changes, your future immigration applications may be refused and/or you may be remove from the UK. You might be also barred from returning to the UK.
You can go to Parkside Police Station in Cambridge to update your Police Registration Certificate.
You will need to wear a mask at all times while you are in the station and only four people can be in the station at one time, so you may be asked to wait outside. Do not go to the station if you:
- are self-isolating
- have had a coronavirus test but not received the result
- have tested positive
- live with someone that has had a test but not received the result
- live with someone that tested positive to coronavirus
- are showing symptoms of the coronavirus
The reception is normally open 9:00 to 16:15 on weekdays and is closed on bank holidays.
At the moments an appointment is not needed, a member of staff at Parkside police Station Cambridge can update your details. You will need to take:
- your passport (old and new if reporting a new passport)
- your BRP card (if reporting a new BRP card)
- certificate of registration
- marriage certificate (if applicable)
- divorce papers (if applicable)
- if possible, proof of address