Things to do at the weekend in Cambridge and Chelmsford
Studying in a new country gives you the opportunity to do some sightseeing on weekends and holidays.
Luckily for you, ARU College is located in two of the UK’s most historic cities. Check out to see what you can explore in Cambridge and Chelmsford!
- Go on a punting tour to see famous landmarks like the Bridge of Sighs, all while relaxing and floating down the River Cam.
- Picnic in the park on one of Cambridge’s many green spaces.
- Visit the University of Cambridge.
- Check out one of the many pubs in Cambridge.
- Visit St Peter’s Chapel, the smallest church in Cambridge that dates back to the 12th century.
- Visit St Mary the Great, known as the university church, famous as all distances in Cambridge are measured from its location.
- Visit King’s College Chapel, a true masterpiece of English craftsmanship.
- Go on the Cambridge walking food tour to see the pubs, fish-and-chip shops, delis and speciality shops.
- See the Buskers and Street Performers Festival and vote for the best performer.
- Visit Fitzwilliam Museum where you can see more than half a million works of art.
- Visit The Museum of Cambridge set in a 17th-century building where you can learn all about the city.
- Visit the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, where you can see world-class art and artefacts from all over the world.
- Keep an eye out for the Cambridge cows. Midsummer Common, is a prime location to start your cow-spotting journey.
Want to explore Cambridge on a budget? Read our guide Spending a day in Cambridge in £10 or less.
- Do Chelmsford park run, the free organised 5km route in Central Park, in costume.
- Visit Boom Battle bar in the high street for a drink, game of crazy golf or even axe- throwing!
- Be like the Chelmsford inventor of wireless, Guglielmo Marconi, and send a signal from an old-fashioned radio at Sandford Mill Museum.
- Canoe down the River through the centre of Chelmsford in full view of the marvelling shoppers.
- Spend the day shopping in the new and vibrant Bond Street.
- Explore the beautiful Hylands Park and discover the grand Hylands House.
- Head to the capital! Take a 35-minute train ride to London Liverpool Street and go sightseeing.
- Escape your studies and head to one of the escape rooms in the city centre.
- Discover the Riverside Leisure centre, walking distance from campus and home to swimming, ice-skating and more.
- Go to a Sunday morning service in your Sunday best at Chelmsford Cathedral, the second smallest in the country.